Evidence-Based Fear Spread by the Medical Profession
32 WAYS THAT DOCTORS PUT YOUR LIFE AND HEALTH IN DANGER BY NOT TELLING YOU THE WHOLE TRUTH OR GIVING YOU ALL THE OPTIONS
1. According to a report in Alternative Therapies in 2003, the modern hospital is an exceedingly dangerous place. Approximately 225,000 Americans die in hospitals annually from the side effects of medications and because of medical errors. Another 103,000 die each year from the 2 million infections that they catch after they are admitted to the hospital (one infection for every 20 admissions). Hospitalization is the third-leading cause of death. Only cancer and heart disease kill more.
2. Outpatient drug side effects are responsible for sending 25,000-50,000 patients per year to the hospital. Cohen, Overdose
3. Permanent brain damage is noted in 42-80% of people as a complication of undergoing bypass surgery. Family Practice News
4. 80% of bypass surgery is unnecessary, according to . Although not recommended by Harvard, chelation therapy is a much safer treatment for coronary artery and other vascular problems. Grayboys
5. At least 75% of coronary artery catheterizations are unnecessary, also according to Harvard. And once in a while someone dies from this test. Once you get such a test, minor abnormalities are often found that the doctor uses to pressure you into having unnecessary surgery. Grayboys
6. If you are in the hospital, the chances are good that your insurance company will pressure your doctor to send you home before you are ready, to save them money.
7. One of the most common orthopedic surgeries, arthroscopic surgery of the knee, gets worse results than a sham surgery that creates a wound but does nothing else.
Family Practice News
8. For most cases of coronary artery disease, the mortality rate is no better with surgical therapy than with medical therapy. We do far more bypass procedures in the than anywhere else. JAMA
9. A major hospital chain (Tenet) in California in 2003 paid a $54 million fine because doctors at their hospitals performed hundreds of unnecessary invasive cardiac procedures—including some that led to death—to increase profits. This is the tip of the iceberg. AMA News
10. Complications of invasive cardiovascular procedures include vascular injury, blood clots to the lungs and to the brain, contrast injection-induced kidney damage, and radiation-induced injury. Severe life-threatening and fatal complications still occur from these procedures.
11. Arterial plaques grow much faster in bypassed arteries than in the original arteries.
12. Statin drugs like Lipitor and Zocor lower your cholesterol and might reduce inflammation, but they also can cause liver disease, nerve damage, a painful muscle disease, a dramatic decrease in Coenzyme Q10 (which protects the heart) and memory loss. Package insert
13. Natural statins like red yeast have comparable effectiveness and much fewer side effects than the drugs. The cost of the natural product is one-third that of the drugs.
Family Practice News
14. It is not uncommon for each cardiac drug to cost more than $100 per month apiece and cardiologists will often prescribe several drugs at the same time.
15. For those that have prescription insurance, you will likely have to pay a significantly more out of your pocket under the new Medicare prescription bill. Natural substances would be much cheaper and might be just as effective. American Association of Physicians and Surgeons
16. In , they are proposing to give a heart-drug combo of 7 different drugs in one pill to everyone over the age of 60. Can you imagine the potential side effects? British Medical Journal.
17. Major hospitals depend heavily on the revenue from bypass surgery. Lesser hospitals must do a minimum number of such surgeries to continue to qualify to do them. These factors pressure the hospitals to do as many bypasses as possible.
18. Arteriograms show two-dimensional shadows. From one radiologist to another, there is a significant variability in the interpretations. Yet this is what the surgeons base their decisions on whether to operate or not. Whitaker
19. Balloon angioplasties often close up again within 6 months. Stents can cause a foreign body reaction that might make them ineffective.
20. The vulnerable plaques that cause more than 80% of heart attacks and strokes occur in lesser vessels with smaller degrees of plaque. These are not the arteries that surgeons operate on. Inter-plaque hemorrhage of coronary arteries is found in 10% of patients who die of non-cardiac causes, indicating that silent heart attacks occur a lot more frequently than we thought. Sometimes, we are just lucky, and we survive. Journal of Medicine
21. 50% of patients who have heart attacks die before they reach the hospital, making it crucial to prevent heart attacks, looking at all the risk factors, most of which are usually ignored. You can usually greatly reduce these risk factors with lifestyle changes and nutritional therapies. NEJM
22. Overuse of antibiotics causes resistant bacterial and yeast overgrowth, which can result in long-term problems. ’s Principles of Medicine.
23. Circulation problems in the legs are often ignored by doctors, but should be considered a major risk factor for heart attacks and strokes. An estimated 12 million people in the have peripheral vascular disease and most do not know it. British Medical Journal
24. Most docs have very little knowledge about nutritional therapies, which can be very effective and much safer than drugs, and then they try to hide their ignorance by criticizing all such remedies as nonsense. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine
25. Most docs recognize that pollution is a problem for society but have no clue about how toxic chemicals and heavy metals such as lead and mercury can destroy the health of their patients. Science News
26. Simple detoxification steps are just common sense, but most docs discourage their patients from taking them.
27. Many vaccines, including flu shots, still contain thiomersal (mercury). The intranasal FluMist is a live vaccine that stays contagious for three weeks after you take it; making you dangerous to anyone you come near who is taking chemotherapy or to pregnant women and small children. Package insert
28. The incidence of cancer, asthma, and autism is increasing at alarming rates, and most doctors are doing very little to make you aware of the toxic chemicals in our environment that are the likely cause of this increase. The incidence of cancer is expected to double by 2050. We are losing the war against cancer. Cancer Prevention Coalition
29. Premarin and Provera is a deadly combination that increases the risk for cancer, heart attacks, strokes and blood clots, but is still being prescribed, even when a much safer and still effective alternative is available as a natural hormone product from soy. Women’s Health Study
30. Common pain medications such as Aleve and ibuprofen might help prevent Alzheimer’s, but can cause bleeding ulcers, weaken cartilage and do damage to your kidneys. Family Practice News
31. Drug companies spend twice as much on advertising as on research. The number of drug detail people doubled from 1996 to 2000. Drug advertising costs increased from $12 million per year to $13 billion in the last ten years. Doctors are convinced to prescribe newer drugs, even though they are much more expensive and are more likely to have unknown side effects. Men’s Health
32. Drug companies and the AMA are trying to require the same research to document the safety and effectiveness of nutritional supplements as are required of drugs, which would dramatically increase the cost and decrease the availability of such supplements. The reality is that natural products cause no more than a handful of deaths each year with very little government regulation, and drugs cause up to 200,000 deaths, despite being heavily regulated. To find out why--follow the money! FDA adverse reaction reports
Fortunately, there are many natural alternative treatments available from physicians knowledgeable about complementary and alternative medicine (). Conventional medicine today jumps toward the more violent approaches such as cut, burn, and poison, which are much more profitable for doctors, hospitals and drug companies. There is reason to fear such approaches, especially if it is your body that is at risk. docs are non-violent in comparison, much more nurturing, and supportive to normal body function. The choice is yours.